Sunday, August 25, 2013

Happy 5 Years, Jumanji!

It was 5 years ago today that I moved into this house - taking a bit of a risk doing it on my own, but knowing that it was the right move for me.  I gladly accepted my friend, and her boyfriend, as roommates.  It was their first time living together, but worked out amazingly and now they're married and have gotten their first house, etc.  Once they were preparing to move out, I actually got a job I had been after for 3 years, AND found a new man who became my Hubby.  In an interesting coincidence, the permanent career he secured before we met is just down the road from our house.  Yay!  I guess it was the right house for me... and now us.

Here are a few quick before and after photos about how I've/we've made it our own since I/we settled in.


Upstairs - originally two rooms (go through one to get to the second).  The two room scenario just didn't work for us, and I had always wanted a ridiculous walk-in closet, so we made it into one huge bedroom with a walk-in closet in the back.

Before
After!














The Den - this is the room that you have to go through to get to the upstairs.  Once we started living upstairs, this room couldn't be a bedroom anymore.  I had always wanted a library, but we also needed a home for a piano... and I had always wanted a house with a secret passageway.  We made it so!

Before
Gallery wall.

After!!  Our Music Room



























The Craft Room - because there wasn't a closet upstairs, one had been put downstairs just past the washer/dryer.  Since we didn't have the same need and it always felt so dark in there, I opened it up and made myself a place to create!

Before
After!











The Patio - the whole yard is landscaped beautifully.  We've had to remove some plants that were too invasive, and some that were too large for where they were planted.  One huge decision we made was to take out the 12' circle of grass we had.  We weren't getting as much enjoyment out of it as we should have for the amount of weeding and mowing it took... so we turned it into a patio.

Before
After!








What's left? - at first glance, nothing.  BUT, I do want to make one big change in the kitchen.  Where the fridge and pantry are, I'm hoping to open it up and make something that blends well with the age of the house, using glass jars as storage.  It also means a different buffet for our dining room, that isn't as contemporary as the one that I got years ago from IKEA.  We shall see!

The fridge sticks out too far for me, and the pantry is kind of hard to
use as you can't see what's lurking in the back half of the shelves.

Jars.... lots and lots of beautiful glass jars!
"Fido" - made in Italy!
The buffet that doesn't work anymore. 














Have you signed up for e-mail updates yet?
I'd love to send you a note when a new post is ready.
Just sign up in the right hand panel underneath my favourite blogs list!

2 comments:

  1. Keep going. Every change you've made so far is very positive. Get the house exactly as you want it - then SELL it and start all over again! Keep life interesting. L - D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if GW will let us sell and start fresh, lol . . . but until then, I might be invading your house instead :-)

      Delete