Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Waugh Woodshop: "Arrow" table


With Pinterest inspiring the nation, I was contacted about building a dining room table based on a coffee table that the client had seen on Pinterest.  Challenge accepted!

This project had a lot of steps to it, which meant I couldn't do it all in one go (which was a bit of pain), but it also meant that I could do it around whatever else was going on in life.

After I got the design done, I started building it from the point of the 'arrows' outward.  I chose to do it at a 45deg angle as the 40deg, 50deg and 60deg didn't look right.  I left the length of them alone, and focused on trying to make the widths random.  I think I used five different widths for the project.




Once I had sanded everything down, I chose four different stain colours and again, tried to be random about which pieces got each colour.  I also left some unstained as the plan was to sand the whole project smooth as a next step, and then do a 'wash' of a fifth colour to catch all the pieces that got sanded back to natural.

I glued, and nailed (from the side like installing hardwood flooring) all of the pieces onto the main plywood board that was serving as the base of the whole thing.  Then I had to sand it all flat, taking off whatever edges were rough enough to tip a drinking glass if it wasn't set in the right spot.


I want to say that the sanding was probably the scariest part, but I also had to trim all the edges flush… it turned out the scariest part was putting that 'wash' of stain over everything.  I had gotten used to how the table looked, and then to put another colour over everything that I had already done was a bit of a risk.  It turned out okay though!  And with four coats of poly, some 4x4 legs which the new owners painted themselves… the table was ready to welcome family at their home!









Posts to your inbox?   That's easy… simply enter your email here:
No spam, I promise, just Project Jumanji Love!


4 comments:

  1. Wow! Impressive! Nice touch that the clients got to contribute by doing some leg work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! and I like what you did there, very punny ;)

      Delete
  2. Very nice. Looks great with the black legs. Good job. L - D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci! I can't wait to find the time to try other patterns

      Delete